No. of Recommendations: 19
I have been using MI screens to one degree or another now for just over a year. During that year I have made every stupid mistake in the book. I fell in love with Qualcomm, and decided it was a LTBH stock instead of part of a monthly screen. I went overboard with margin last winter and took a severe beating, complete with margin calls. I decided I could pick stocks just as good as the screens, and added some emotional picks to the mix (instead of adding another screen). I have traded before rebalance date because I just had to have that sure-fire rocket in my port. I have held past my rebalance date to give a former high flyer time to recover from "profit taking". You get the picture.

Nine out of ten mistakes I have made, have cost me money.

After making all of these mistakes, my port is still up 143% over the past twelve months. Thank god my year of learning was during one of the biggest run-ups in market history. Otherwise, I might of devastated my portfolio. Even so, I am still down 10% YTD and down 39% from my all time high set on March 5. But I'm headed in the right direction now!

After having "been there, and done that", i'm here to tell anyone making, or contemplating, any of the same mistakes: IT AIN'T WORTH IT!

Unless you are willing to know your stocks better than you know yourself, stick to the screens!

I have sold off all emotional picks and made my US portfolio (i'm Canadian, with my own MI based Canadian screens), 100% MI.

Thank you, everyone!!

Crapshooter

p.s. I believe if this post helps one person avoid my mistakes, then it won't have been a total waste of the valuable bandwidth on this board. Back to lurking.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.