Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have been using this method for about 3 years and it has made all the difference in the world for me.
I have budgeted for adding to an emergency fund each month up to having $1500 total. That should cover surprises that suddenly happen around the house.
I also have another budget for 3-6 months of living expenses. That would be bare bones for what it would cost me to get by. Not for eating out, entertainment, extra clothes and more. Just covering the "needs".
I have an extra savings account that I put $400/month in. That is for homeowner's insurance, car insurance and property tax. That way I always have the money on hand when the bills come due.

It has been interesting because each month I tweak it a bit as my expenses change in the categories. It actually gives me peace of mind to know what I am dealing with and not caught off-guard.

Robyn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.