Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have been with Schwab for years but always manage my own investments. They offer a free portfolio check-up with suggestions. Has anyone ever used this?

I haven't had any experience with Schwab, but Fidelity offered a free check-up with suggestions and I took them up on it. I was supposed to gather all my stock and fund information beforehand and have it ready when I called. So, I did. The Fidelity guy seemed interested in having as much as possible transferred to Fidelity. (He wasn't interested in the funds I held in my 401(k), for example, as they couldn't be moved.) I had rather naively assumed that he would check out my asset allocation in terms of domestic/foreign, large cap/small cap, etc. But whatever asset allocation I had, he was OK with that. He didn't care. If I had an international fund, he suggested a Fidelity international fund instead. The general principle I think he was following is that if I had an investment in X, then he would suggest changing that to an investment in a Fidelity product that was in X.

I also signed up for a free educational session with TD Ameritrade. They talked about a few investing basics and then launched off into talk about some investment platform/service (or something) for trading options; it had all these nifty features and would cost only $499. I guess the whole thing was something like a web-based infomercial. It lasted several hours. I watched it for about an hour and a half (the whole thing went on for four hours), but then I stopped; I had other things to do.

As I said, I have no experience with Schwab but, FWIW, these were my experiences with Fidelity and TD Ameritrade.

--SirTas
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.