Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have calculated my taxes this year using TurboTax 2000. That said,
I have determined that I will be getting back approx $3000 this year.

I currently have my status as single with exemptions of 2. My salary
is in the 90K range .I had about 18K in itemized deductions and I
maxed the 401K.

I would rather have this $3000 in my possession rather that Uncle
Sam's. Should I increase my number of allowances by 1 in order to
have less taken out and essentially break "closer to even" next year?
or am I running a risk of owing a chunk by doing so.


I don't know the exact number of additional W-4 exemptions it takes to reduce your withholding tax by $3,000, but that's what you want to do, probably 3 or 4. You only have to withhold the amount of your prior year's actual tax and can then make up the difference in April with no penalty. ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.