No. of Recommendations: 1
I have certain material - my ebook collection and my writing, for examples - that I want to ALWAYS have the CURRENT version on my phone, my tablet, and my computer.

This is what SyncThing excels at.

It's not so good for backups, where you want to keep a complete set of files as a group unified by when the backup was made. Also, it only works between intelligent devices. You could have your computer synchronize data between your phone and an external USB drive, but not between your computer and an external USB drive.

OK - I had envisioned using SyncThing for backups between my and DW's laptops via LAN and one important file to my iPhone but gather IOS is not supported. Using her laptop could/would be a problem as she doesn't use it every day (powered off when not using).

That's where Backintime comes in. It will work between your computer and a USB drive. It does versioning the right way - each backup appears to be a full backup, and the backup as a whole gets a timestamp. (But it runs, and takes up space on the backup drive, like an incremental backup... note: do NOT do backups to a FAT-formatted partition. Any Unix/Linux file system will do. So will NTFS, if you've installed the needed drivers. Or an OSX file system. Dang near anything. Except FAT.)

Looks like you use both Timeshift and Backintime for backup. Do you use both for system and data? Mind sharing Timeshift and/or Backintime settings? I described my Timeshift settings up thread and have it set up in it own ext4 partition on an external USB drive. I assume Backintime could co-exist in the same partition.

Thanks again for the heads up and knowledge sharing, much appreciated.

George
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.