No. of Recommendations: 0
I have enough to fund retirement until age 59.5, which is what I have planned for, then be able to take from IRA. If I took all that I have available right now and divided by 6, I could withdraw $8500 per year more than I am now.

My question really concerns whether it is best to re-invest the $6k per year, growing the number of shares and thus the dividend amount, over the next year or to take that $6k per year in cash so that I won't need to sell anything until 2019.

I guess it doesn't really matter a whole lot in the end, selling sooner or later. I have planned all along to live off this money so using principle is not the issue.

As for lowering my expenses... because of a change in living arrangements I need to move into my rental property in February and will lose the monthly income. I have thought of paying off the $78k mortgage but I haven't fully got into how my budget would look if I did and no longer had a mortgage payment, which is $690 per month. Where I live even the cheapest apartment would be more than that. I have cut basically everything I can except for my granddaughter's iPhone being on my plan. My car will be paid off in 2 years also. I had planned on early retirement at age 55 but, it happened at age 52 instead. I bought the car because I wanted to retire at 55 with a newer car to start out with instead of a 15+ year old one. It would have been paid off. That's $400 per month that I won't have in 2019.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.