No. of Recommendations: 1
I have found Amazon to be excellent

Me too. They've gone out of their way several times to make sure I was happy with them. Latest episode: I ordered a toner cartridge for my printer that was listed as HP Cartridge In Retail Box, and when I got it, the cartridge was wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in a plain brown box with a sticker on it that said "Genuine HP Cartridge". Mind you, this wasn't sold by Amazon itself, it was one of their third-party vendors. Unfortunately, my old cartridge was totally shot and I needed to print stuff right away, so I went ahead and installed the non-retail cartridge. It was about half the price of a new HP cartridge from someone local (like Staples).

Later, on the Amazon site I used their "contact us" button to write them and explain that the cartridge wasn't in a retail box, so I wasn't sure it was really a new HP cartridge, but that I'd gone ahead and used the cartridge. I didn't ask them to do anything about the problem.

Amazon emailed back promptly saying I should place a new order from a different third-party vendor, making sure it says "fulfilled by Amazon", and reply with the new order number. They'd refund the other order in full even though I'd used the cartridge. Or, if I preferred I could keep the questionable cartridge and they'd refund 30%.

Shortly after I replied with the new order number, Amazon emailed to say they'd changed the shipping method on that order to next-day shipping at no charge.

That order arrived today and it was in an HP retail box (packed in a plain box with those air-pack things). The strip you remove before using the cartridge looked nothing like the strip I removed from the brown-box cartridge. The HP label on the cartridge from the retail box looks exactly like the label on the cartridge that came with the HP printer, but completely different than the label on the brown-box cartridge.

Now I just need to return the brown-box cartridge (with the prepaid label Amazon gave me) and return the used-up cartridge to HP for recycling with the prepaid label from the retail box (there wasn't one in the brown-box). Still only paid a little over half the Staples price.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.