No. of Recommendations: 4
I have had my medical POA with Person A as the primary agent and Person B as a backup.
For my durable POA and Will, I have had Person B as the primary and Person A as the backup.

With both people being a person of good judgement IMO.

In addition, Person A and I have been in close proximity for many years and I thought better suited for the medical rep. As I reviewed everything, I thought that it might be better to have Person A be the POA agent for both since that would be easier if/when decisions had to be made for me.

============================================
Maybe, maybe not. The two roles are different in nature, and differing qualifications may matter, as well as overall judgment, which you say is a good factor for both parties.

In my case, my wife is named as personal rep. in my will, which is a pour-over to our living trust, of which she is the other trustee. And she is the first named agent in my durable financial POA. After that it gets different. Our son is named as the 1st backup Personal Rep, Trustee, and financial POA. Our daughter is 2nd backup. However, our daughter is the 1st backup on the Health Care POA, with our son being 2nd.

The reason for this is that our daughter is a nurse practitioner with a specialty in oncology, and has dealt with patients and their families who have had to make tough choices. But she's not a business or financial type person. Our son has been very successful in business, and is his company's director of sales and marketing. And they get along fine; but we just see that it probably would work better with things being assigned in that order.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.