Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have heard from a couple good sources that they have a big back log of movies in the can in anticipation of the strike.

Anticipating a strike, I'm sure they accelerated some of their production schedules to get some stuff "in the can." That said, there are only so many "A" and "B" list actors, and it takes a certain amount of time to "shoot", and that all costs money, so it's not like there's some unlimited fountain of money to finance it all.

So the idea that there is a huge "extra" backlog is myth. There is backlog, but there always is. From the time the shooting ends until a movie hits the theaters there is always 6-18 months of post production, special effects, sound, music, etc. So that'll be fine for a while. Sometimes a movie doesn't come out as planned and it is shelved, because the marketeers don't think it will play or match the competition. The idea that there are a bunch of "lesser quality" movies just sitting around gathering dust is another theory for the ashcan, although it is possible that a couple which might not have made it could, assuming the strike goes on a long long time (the last one was 5 months) and the pipeline starts to look thin.

But basically if a movie is ready for the audience, it gets released. It is "scripts" of which there are a bazillion bazillion around, but those won't get shot anyway. I'm not clear if the studios even could, since they are still the work products of WGA members for the most part.

Changing the subject slightly, TV works on a much tighter turnaround, and I'm sure they don't give two hoots about the LA economy. They care about their bottom line, and they are madly developing more reality shows right now. That will help if there is a strike, but more important, the genre "works" and brings in ratings. The networks could fill the time with a bunch of Hollywood Squares clones, but they're not going to do that, they are still driven by the audience tastes.

So, my question is do you think it's likely they will shelf some of the stuff in the can if there is no strike and opt to go forward with different programming?

No, the studios and the networks are still driven by hard headed businessmen (and a few women.) If they have spent money developing (and/or shooting) a pilot or a movie, they will use it if they think it works. They won't if it doesn't. Many concepts are pitched, only a relative few are greenlighted for production. Of those which are, most are eventually seen somewhere, if only to amortize the cost and fill a programming hour. And hey, sometimes the audience actually likes it!

Anyway, long story short, this strike is just like any other. When "Whirlpool" goes on strike, they don't roll out a lot of lousy washers with defects they've had in the back room and say "OK, now we'll sell these", because they know people won't buy them anyway.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.