No. of Recommendations: 2
I have lately started buying Ultra Petroleum, UPL. This is the predominately a natural gas company with some debt on the balance sheet, but not wildly excessive amounts, IMO. Their main producing areas are conventional gas deposits (with some shale plays), which means they have the lowest all-in costs of any of the large, public gas players. Gas prices have been moving up as storage withdrawals have driven inventories way down and most of the guys who were out drilling new wells hell-for-leather have pulled back a lot on drilling activity. Since the shale wells that have driven a lot of the supply expansion have steep production curve declines over relatively short periods, I don't see a lot of new supply coming aside from gas that is incidentally produced from oil drilling activity. The gas price increase over $4 removes default risk from UPL and the company's improved prospects don't seem to be reflected in the share price. I think that in the next 5 years we will see notably higher gas prices, but at $4.XX gas UPL still looks cheap to me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.