Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I have lost money with FMD twice. In each case I thought I was buying a company with (authentic, albeit imperfect) earnings power, a durable competitive advantage, and selling at a discount to intrinsic value. I also liked that three directors had a large ownership interest, and that the company had net cash.

And then the credit markets seized up!

I give credit to Matt Snowling (sp?) and Morningstar, both who warned us that earnings quality was suspect and the competitive advantage was tenuous.

I fear the slowdown in the housing market will spread to other credit markets, including student loans (see my Greenspan's Bubbles post, Apr. 4).

Plus, as others on this site have noted, FMD appears to be changing its business model.

I must say this company takes a lot of work, like parenthood. I have scaled back as FMD is in my "too hard" pile. When I said FMD was an early "Christmas present," I was wrong. If I caused any readers to lose money, I apologize. I thought I was buying a good business on the cheap. Statistically, buying good business on the cheap works over time. But mistakes will occur, despite best intentions.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.