Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I have money in a 457b plan that I contributed pre-tax money every month.
I am no longer working, retired May 2019. Can I add the limit for 2020 to my Roth IRA by taking out money from the 457b and paying taxes on it?

If you are asking if you can make a contribution to your Roth IRA - no you cannot, since the income from your 457 is considered to be pension income, not compensation. In order to make regular contributions to either a Traditional or a Roth IRA, you must have compensation income. You can see what's considered compensation in IRS Pub 590a

However, you can convert as much money as you want from your 457 into your Roth IRA - the only limit is how much you want to pay in taxes. Be aware, if you actually take the money out of the 457 and put it into your checking/MM/etc. account and then send the money to your IRA, that's considered a non-trustee-to-trustee rollover, and you are limited to one of those every 365 days. So it's best to do a trustee-to-trustee rollover, as you can do as many of those as you want.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.