Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I have my broker account managed by an advisor. He
charged me 20% gain as his performance fee. He sent me this performance fee invoice quarterly. Last year, I paid him about $11500 for the performance fee. Where
can I deduct this management fee in my tax form ??]]
[As a miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2% AGI floor. So check out Schedule A.

And for that type (and size) of fee, I hope that your advisor is making you TONS of money.

TMF Taxes
Yes, I thought of using the schedule A to deduct the
money that I paid to my account advisor.
But, he told me that I can use the schedule C to
deduct the fee that I paid to him. By using
schedule C, I can fully deduct all the fee that I
paid him without the 2% AGI floor (in scheduld
A). Am I missing anything here ??

Thank you for your concerns. So far, he is
making big money for me....> 100% in 8 months.

- james
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.