Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have my own business as a sole proprietor. I have read at several places online the suggestion to get EIN to give to clients instead of my SSN.

Is that good advice?

I think it is, given what one hears about identity theft. The instructions for Form W-9, which is what you use to inform payers of your TIN, say that the IRS prefers you use your SSN, but if you have an EIN that's fine.

Schedule C only asks for SSN. I don't see a place to also put the EIN so the IRS can match up the 1099s and my tax return.

See item D on Schedule C. Don't worry about IRS matching. They're not going to be upset if you report more income than was reported to them on 1099's.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.