Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have never heard of mere short-term rental of residential property being automatically treated as a business requiring Schedule C.

Just glanced through my tax bible and as usual you appear to be right. It's real estate dealers that would use C, or motels and hotels, though the criteria there seems to be additional services, like maid service, which some VRs do supply, so then where does it lie?

The ability to get feedback is one reason why I love this board! Clearly, I need to take the time to wade through this 500 page book yet again. I've been focusing more at this time on what data to collect and how to collect it for the IRS to recognize it's validity, (again throw common sense out the window and follow the rules literally if you don't want those expenses disallowed,) than what form to report on.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.