Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have no advice about finding a financial planner and I too struggle with how to get the best low risk return . I will share my father's strategy with you. He was a blue collar worker who always saved at least 10% of what he earned, along with tax refunds and any other windfall that came along. While my family lived frugally, my Dad's savings grew. This blue collar worker in a single earner household put two kids through college and retired with just about $1 million in the bank. Yes, the bank. He invested in CDs (certificates of deposit), shopping for the highest rates and spreading it across many banks. He found banks that paid as much as 13 or 14% in the 70s I believe. He also purchased some US savings bonds along the way. He (being a child of the depression) did not trust the stock market and its risks. My family often ponders what he might have accumulated had he put some of his money into the market, even conservatively. But he is living proof, that you can accumulate wealth without risk through prudent saving and understanding the "miracle of compound interest and time." Since you are still young, why not look for the best and safest returns? Leave the risk taking to the older generation that got a late start and doesn't have a choice.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.