No. of Recommendations: 0
I have no idea about the origin of Windows Remote Desktop - but Microsoft has purchased a great many "features" over the years.

I think Remote Desktop is related to a similar Citrix product, but those recollections are pretty hazy.

So it is possible this "bug" was in something MSFT purchased.

It's not so much a bug as just the way it works. The icons are rearranged just as if you connected a monitor with a different resolution, such that without rearranging the icons would be off the screen. Windows rearranges the icons so they will all be visible. That's good, unless it rearranges all of your icons because just one would not have been visible.

In any event, it appears from the thread Fences will work as will other 3rd party programs such as LogMeIn.

Fences and LogMeIn are very different products. LogMeIn provides the same service as Windows Remote Desktop. They are both ways of remotely accessing your computer. I suspect LogMeIn doesn't have the icon problem because it maintains your current monitor resolution.

Fences is a desktop organization tool. It expands on the Windows desktop, allowing to you put things on your desktop in ways that Windows itself can't. It not intended to solve an icon arrangement problem with Remote Desktop, but it happens to do that as a side effect of its main purpose.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.