No. of Recommendations: 10
I have one year left on a car loan at 3.99%. The remaining balance is 4+k. If I really stretch my budget this month (raid my pantry, limit car trips, suspend savings, etc) and then raid my pockets, piggy bank, and the couches, I can pay it off. The monthly payment is $527.22. Or I can just put 2.5 - 3k towards my highest interest credit card (15.24%) reducing the balance as I have been doing.

Freeing up that extra $500/month would give me 6k to put towards debt over the next 12 months.

That $522.27/month is already going toward debt repayment. It's paying off your car loan. You won't get any 'extra' to put toward debt repayment, that you couldn't realize by stretching your budget this month and putting it all toward the 15.24% card.

In fact, if you stretch right now to come up with the extra $3.5k toward the 15.24% credit card that as of 6/30 had $13,500 on it, in addition to the $2.5k that you say* you have been putting toward that card, you will pay it card down by over $6k in one month - you will be down to about $7500.

*When you first came here 3 months ago, you had a balance of $23,500 on the AMEX. By the middle of April, the AMEX balance was down to $14k, according to this post: http://boards.fool.com/my-week-of-credit-card-reduction-3121... 2 1/2 months later on 6/30, you said that the AMEX balance was now down to $13,500 in this post: http://boards.fool.com/i-owe-i-owe-its-off-to-work-i-go-3130...

I know you said you had a 'hard time sticking to the plan'. But either your numbers were wrong in one or both of those posts, or you have only paid a total of $500 more than the interest accrued on AMEX in 2 1/2 months. Since $14k at 15.24% only accrues about $180/month in interest, that means that you have only paid AMEX between $860 and $1040 in 2 1/2 months, depending on if you had 2 or 3 monthly payments due.

Unless you've been adding charges to the AMEX (which you *said* you had stopped doing) there is no way you've been paying AMEX $2.5k - $3k/month.

If you want to succeed in your endeavor to pay off your debt, you really need to start being real with yourself about how much and what you are paying. If you really want to pay off the debt in interest rate order, then do it. It's okay if you want to pay some debts off out of order because it gives you an emotional lift, and more motivation. But be truthful to yourself about it and put a plan together that shows that. Don't tell yourself you've been paying AMEX $2.5k - $3k/month when you haven't.

If you had really been paying $2.5k - $3k per month to AMEX without adding any charges, you would be well below $10k on the AMEX by now, and if you scraped everything together for the next 2 months, along with the $2.5k - $3k that you were going to pay, you could probably pay it off next month. Instead, you are still at $13.5k

So, you need to decide - what's really more important to you - paying the least in interest, or paying off particular debts? And then, be truthful to yourself and put a plan together to support that goal, and stick to the plan.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.