No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read 4 of the books on the list.

Steinbeck - Travels With Charley
Iyer - Video Night in Kathmandu
Twain - Innocents Abroad
Cahill - Road Fever

Of these, I'd rate Travels With Charley #1, Innocents Abroad #2, Video Night #3 and Road Fever dead last.

Steinbeck's work is really great reading. Quite different from the stuff you read in high school. It's a road trip book that I took on my post-college European trip. I must have read it 5 times, it is a great book. Twain's book is also very good, though I remember that I felt like I was reading real literature (it's not fluff). It is of course set in the 1800's. I was personally disappointed with "Video Night", a few people had recommended it - but it's written in the 80s, and it is quite dated now. Every chapter is another location, so it is more a collection of short stories. Some were better than others, some were IMHO pretty bad. Iyer has another book that is better called "Falling Off the Map", which is about some very untraveled places in the world. I absolutely hated "Road Fever". I don't know why it gets such good publicity. The author is somewhat well known for being involved in Outside Magazine, but IIRC the book was quite haphazard and strung together.

One book that I saw did not make it but should have is "Blue Highways" by William Least-Heat Moon. It's a great roadtrip book through America. And one more I'd add - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It's not for everybody (and certainly the Johnny Depp movie did it more harm than good), but it is also a good road trip travel book, if you are of the mind to read it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.