No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read many places that a significant component in your credit score (FICO score) is the relationship of your outstanding revolving debt to the maximum credit limits on your cards. But that has never been explained in any detail. For example, is it better to have one card maxed out and three others with zero balance, or is it better to spread the debt across all 4 cards so they are all under 50% of the max? In either case, the total debt to total available credit remains the same, but in the second case you are not close to maxing out any one card.

I don't know the answer to your question, but am interested to hear what knowledgeable people have to say about a closely related question.

I recently spent a lot of money on a single purchase at one of the Lowe's Depot kind of places and took advantage of their 0% for a year offer. It involved getting a new store-branded Visa or MC from Chase or Citi. They set the credit limit on the card at something like $19,000 and my purchase was for about $18,500. It's the only card I don't pay off every month. The full payment is in an ING account earning interest for about 11 1/2 months and I'm not using this card for anything else in the meantime.

Even with this card maxed out, overall, I'm at only about 10 to 15% of my available CC credit.

What does doing something like this do to one's credit report or FICO? I'm really just curious, because I don't foresee needing any other loans or credit cards in the near future.

OS
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.