Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have recently purchased a new condo, and we have a contract to purchase one for Mom in the same complex.

We are going to buy Mom's condo before selling her current house. The goal is to get her moved out, fix up a few things, and put it on the market. Once we sell her current house, we will pay off the mortgage on her new condo. We currently have the funds to fully pay off the mortgage on her current house and put 20% down on the condo.

Is that "we" or "she" with sufficient funds? I ask because if she has the money in the bank I'm having trouble understanding why she can't get a loan on her own. I suggest you post this to the Buying/Selling a Home board. There are some mortgage pros there who could give you better insight than you're likely to get here about the lending side of things.

From a purely tax perspective:

1. What kind of Federal pension does she have that is tax-free?

2. Have you checked to see if the offset provisions of SS will reduce her SS benefit?

3. I'd advise putting your name on the title to her condo. If you inherit it you inherit it with a basis stepped up to its FMV at that time. If you're 50/50 owners you get the stepped-up basis on only the half you inherit.

4. The IRA avenue sounds promising if you do need to temporarily boost her monthly income. She's in the "golden age" of IRA rules where she can take as little or as much as she wants. (I believe I saw in the linked post that she was 60 at the time.) I doubt seriously that the IRA custodian will be any trouble, but if they are just move the account to a custodian which understands whose money it is.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.