No. of Recommendations: 1
I have some experience working with non-retirement union benefits, and its not good.

The Supreme Court ruled several years ago that non-retirement benefits within a pension or other sources, are not protected by ERISA....meaning the union may elect to discontinue the benefit at a later date, something they could not do with a pension or other defined contribution plan covered by ERISA, unless the company were to go insolvent and the PBGC would then take it over.

We had several Teamsters and heavy equipment operators, as I recall, who saw their Medicare supplement coverage discontinued as the union's trust that was funding this simply ran out of money. IOW, if you are now eligible for such a supplement, I wouldn't fully count on it.

Within 3 months of turning 65 you may enroll in Medicare if you're not at that time receiving SS benefits. If you are, then you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. Otherwise, you'll need to enroll yourself, which you can do by going to the SocialSecurity.gov web site, calling their 1-800 number (and be prepared to wait) or calling your local SS office and making an appointment to go in physically to sign up. At that time, you may also enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan and a Part D plan. The instructions here are lengthy, so I'd suggest you make an appointment with your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) or Senior Health Insurance Benefit Assistance (SHIBA) volunteer office to go in and speak to a volunteer to help you navigate this. There is no charge for this and unless you're willing to do a lot of reading and studying, you'll want to go into the SHIP office.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.