Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have to agree with you an all points you listed.

The type of annuity offerred is a fixed annuity and they are pushing it because they contend that as we get older we/I will not be able to make sound judgements with my money and an annuity takes that worry away.

I am not buying that.

Further more the company says it is having problems with the posibility of to many people retiring in a short span and say that their defined compansation plan is under funded and I believe that they feel in is better to pay smaller monthly ammount rather than a large ammount of lump sum payments.

The 401k is my option and it would be unwise to sink it all into an annuity because I cannot stop the monthly payments if I don't need them. Please correct me if I am wrong about that aspect.

One hypo the gave us so far is if I was 50 and worked till I am 60; I would be receive an annuity payment of $1100/mo if I elect a single life option; the only other option is joint survivor.

Using some annuity calculators online the company would have to pony up around $190,000 in 10 years. That is over 23% of my annual salary per year to this annuity.

Please check this figure if it is not to much trouble....

Thanks Floyd

Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.