Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
I have to disagree with some of that article. We're paying the minimum on a low-interest mortgage and investing the difference, and we're well ahead of where we'd be if we'd thrown everything at the mortgage. As he said in the article, mathematically it is correct.

My husband and I paid off my mortgage, which was the last of any of our debt, three years ago. We consolidated households a few years before that and much of the payoff came from proceeds from the sale of DH's house. (We had had a commuter marriage; long story, go look in previous posts on the Credit Card and Consumer Debt board if you want the whole thing.)

Though it is correct that we could have had better returns had we invested the money instead, the real impact on our daily lives has been immense. There is much more disposable income now than there was. It goes toward investing, yes. However, that one change meant that, in essence, we were suddenly at financial independence based only on passive income, not on withdrawal of any investment funds. I am fully confident that when one or both of us get to actual retirement age, our pensions (we are federal employees), retirement savings, and investments will lead to being able to live well and still pass a nest egg to the people we care about.

It has changed my mindset dramatically. I suddenly feel much more able to use funds to help others than I ever did before. I also have the slack to do things that I really wanted to do. Some examples of that? We got a housekeeper, started piano lessons, paid for a nutrition coaching program for us both (100+ pounds lost between us!), I became a nutrition coach myself, and we established a small charitable fund to help with reducing obesity, improving nutrition, and reducing food insecurity in my home town and my husband's home town. (Home counties, actually.)

Without the elimination of the mortgage, I'm not sure that either of us would have been comfortable doing the first few of these things, which snowballed to the rest. Your mileage will surely vary. For me, though, it was a worthwhile change.

ThyPeace, yep, snowballs work for more things than just debt payoff. It's cool how that works. :)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.