Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
I have two different discount brokers, and they both have ‘bond centers’ where customers can research and buy or sell bonds.

Trading bonds is a bit different than trading stocks. For some reason, not all bonds show limit style orders available in my brokers’ interfaces, though even then, you can enter a price and quantity (and have the price rejected if the broker/dealer won’t take it). In addition, while the bond market in aggregate is larger than the stock market, individual bonds are often thinly traded. That leads to large bid/ask spreads and prices that are often tied either to general rates for that duration and quality or to a high individual company risk premium if there is specific news on the company.

I’m personally leaning towards using a bond ladder for my own retirement portfolio for short to mid term needs once I get closer to retirement age. That said, the liquidity differences I’m seeing between stocks and bonds indicates to me that I should carefully select my bonds to have them be a decent likelihood of ‘one decision’ investments.

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.