Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have two kids with minor accounts that I generated capital gains last year and they also had a long term capital gain carryover from previous years.

I assume you meant capital loss carryover. If not, I'm as curious as JAFO.

I was just at the Illinois website helping a friend and paused to check the "Who Must File?" part of the instructions. After only a cursory examination it looked to me like they have to file (required to file a Federal return), but may not have to pay any tax (they still get a personal exemption amount).

Again, this was a cursory check and I'm not intimately familiar with Illinois rules, so check it out yourself.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.