Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have worked aboard for 9 years and have never had to pay income taxes. If I had a stock investment that I traded on every month how would uncle sam asses my tax bracket to determine the amount of capital gains tax to collect??

If you only have short term capital gains other than your exempt foreign earnings, you are taxed at ordinary income rates on your short term capital gains. Your short term capital gains becomes your income for the various brackets. Uncle Sam does not normally assess income taxes unless you don't file your return which is not advised. You are required to file the appropriate income tax return including the necessary schedule D and form 1040. There might be a more complete discussion of taxation of only capital gains in the Tax Strategies FAQ which could help you understand this more thoroughly.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.