No. of Recommendations: 0
I haven't done a sleeper train but there are a number of mixed opinions on those in various forums (Rick Steves and others). Some people aren't comfortable with sharing a cabin sleeping with others. Others comment on noises and/or drunken people on the nights later at night, not to mention toilets getting messy.

It might matter a lot depending on the routes.

I've never been to Gimmelwald but instead used Grindelwald as a base while exploring Jungfraujoch (we lucked out with a clear day at the top and the views were amazing). I liked Bern as a base in Switzerland due to its convenience to most places and found the city more interesting than a place like Zurich.

I tend to move around often on trips to Europe usually staying 1-3 days per place. I've never done a 21 day trip and that might be too much for me.

Another place that I've found to be a good base for trips is Munich. Lots to see and easy train access to a number of places.

I can't recall when but one or two of the areas in Cinque Terre had some major flooding/mud slides last year so you might want to google that and see if things are back to normal. I know they were rushing to fix things up but sometimes being "open" and being "nice" are two different things. I believe Rick was covering that story.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.