No. of Recommendations: 0
I haven't my copy with me at work, but when Frodo puts on the ring during the attack on Weathertop (Amon Sul),( book I, the chapter a Knife in the Dark), (I may be wrong) (and upon his recovery in Rivendell) he describes that his perceptions are altered: Aragorn and the other hobbits' battle cries seem far away, while the Nazgul are so much clearly visible and beckon him to join them.

<snip>

The way I see it, the movie Aragorn will have one heck of a change of heart somewhere in the first reel of Movie II. This is the only way to reconcile the many duties Isildur's heir must accomplish and align itself with the wandering noble bum he is in Movie I.

I pretty much agree down the line. But, even thu Tom B. was an irritating character, I think the movie should have given him a nod. Even farmer Maggot got a mention.

Most of the movie changes didn't bother me much. This is an awfully long story to fit into three films. But they did sacrifice a lot of character development to keep the picture running. The friendship between Legolas and Gimli was totally ignored, the near adoration Gimli has for the Lady of the wood was cut completely, even Sam's extreme closeness to Frodo was played down.

I'm guessing the sword will be re-forged in a big Hollywood production when Aragorn reaches Gondor. I also suspect they'll have to keep the "paths of the dead" for the third movie...who could resist those special effects?

I like your take on the movie Aragorn versus the book Aragorn. I definitely liked the guy in the book better. He had some real backbone and aimed to get what he wanted. I very much approved of the guy in the book who worked and waited, and grabbed his opportunity when it came (And he's a good guy). The guy in the movie is a wimp. He's going to be the Hollywood hero who doesn't want the power he's given, and doesn't deserve it. If given a choice between a good guy who worked his butt off to get a position of power, and a good guy who just happened into it (or got born into it)...give me the worker every time.

Of course, with all that said, they'll get my money for the next installation.

l1soul

And BTW, isn't Frodo awfully young. Sam, Pippin, and Marydoc are supposed to be young hobbits but I thought Frodo was suppose to be nearly 40!

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.