Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I haven't read "Rich Dad Poor Dad", but I think good reads with lots of insight are "The Millionaire Next Door" and "The Millionaire's Mind".

Yeah, I agree. I have read both of these books as well. I also read the "classic" One Up on Wallstreet recently -- all 3 were better books.

I don't disagree with any of your critiques of the book, Rich Dad, Poor Dad. In fact, there were several parts of the book that I did not like. I actually thought the introduction to the book was the best part of the book. It was written by a female CPA from Florida. She talked alot about the importance of educating your children on personal finance. The introduction was so good that I thought I had to buy and read the book, which I did.

I actually got some good insights from the book, despite the author. When I read a book, I ignore the parts of the book that do not apply to my circumstances or that I have issues with. In this case, I ignored several parts of the book. However, there were parts of the book that I could relate to my own circumstances. In these cases, my thought process was stimulated, and I was able to learn and gain additional insights from the book. If the book did nothing else, it reinforced my financial goals... to save and invest for my future so that my wife and I can live comfortably without relying on Social Security or some company pension plan to support me.

If you are not reading (even bad or below-average books), you are not learning. Reading stimulates your own ideas and thoughts, no matter if the book is trash.

Good luck, all
the hendrys

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.