Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I hear your point and agree

There is a theory that what makes humans special, is their superior ability to discriminate. Not to discriminate in any racial sense, but to pick a course of action that is best for the situation based on past experience. And we are always doing it, weather we are conscious of it or not. From, who is the greatest QB versus to placing your foot on the next step. I would ascribe to this to some extent, but the problem comes in when the decision is not based on actual experience or incomplete experience.

Many times we will rely on the experience of others to fill the gaps. If that experience is dated or based on a different world view, that is when the problems start. The answer is to question experience, or seek your own direct experience. Unfortunately this approach is not cherished as an individual trait. So as you say, we tend to huddle with our own, which further radicalizes the viewpoint. The internet is a huge enabler of this in many ways.

I have said this before and will state it again. I see very little, what I would call actual racism in the community where I live. It is a ethnically diverse community of people who are roughly on the same economical footing. The main target of their ire are local economically disadvantage communities: "the ghettos and the trailer trash". As these communities are also racially diverse, I can only conclude that much of what is called racial discrimination is actually economic discrimination.

And who is to blame for this ongoing racial issues within this country? I personally think you have to look at both sides and the middle. There is the side, often called "racists", that consist of real racists and people who are decried for stating the obvious. There are the victims of racism, people who have been unjustly stereotyped and profiled. Most of them through no fault of their own, but with a active fraction that gives give legs to the stereotype. The people in the middle are generally do gooders on both sides, but whos ill thought out actions in the name off liberty or political correctness often exasperate the problem. Then there is the media. I am not thinking Fox or CNN who's agenda is obvious. I'm thinking the ones in the middle, who inadvertently fan the flames at every available opportunity, by giving air time to the fringe on both sides.

Racism as it exists today, is a problem. It needs to be addressed, but it has to be addressed by all parties, in open collective discussion. There is no quick fix until there is understanding
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.