Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I helped start a non-profit group for professional education -- see

Filing the forms for Iowa incorporation as a nonprofit was very easy. Getting the 501(c)3 approval from the IRS was frustrating -- there was some back-and-forth as our articles of incorporation didn't have just precisely the wording that the IRS wanted to see. I believe that it had to do with specifying that if the organization disbanded, all assets would be given to another non-profit organization. It was sort of like "Mother May I" by mail -- but eventually we did get the approval. You might want to have your articles of incorporation and your IRS application reviewed by a CPA with some experience with nonprofits to forestall any problems.

Basically it's a two-step process. Incorporate in your state as a nonprofit, and then get 501(c)3 approval from the IRS.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.