Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I hope I don't have to deal with that again but it comes with the territory of living in Florida.

Your last comment raises an interesting question: Given that NOAA believes that since 1995 we have entered into a multi-decade period of very high hurricane frequency – based on centuries of historical data, an "organic" procession that has nothing to do with the issue of climate change – what is the potential effect on the Florida and the American Gulf Coast and Southeast?

If what happened last year wasn't an anomaly but rather only a one sigma deviation from the norm over the next two decades, what will that do to the economy of the region? Once in a blue moon disasters do not change peoples habits and inclinations, but repetitive events most certainly will.

Under the very plausible scenario that a good deal more frequent and severe hurricanes are likely to strike the United States, the most obvious issue is going to be the increased operational cost of living and working in the high-risk areas. From higher insurance premiums (and the exit of carriers), to great expenditures in repair and improved hardening of infrastructure and private homes, to the not easily quantified but still economically powerful effect of what Cubanos call enfermedad del sentimiento, the disquiet that makes people anxious, less productive.

I suspect that because of the significant demographic changes that have happened since the last high decadal era of hurricanes, we are entering into a period where events like this will affect us as an economy and a society more profoundly than ever before.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.