Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I hope I'm not beating this to death when we should be discussing CRWD or ARKW, Denny. I just find the brain one of the many fascinating topics of current science.

You can beat stock symbols to death. ;)

Now that we're on the front lines of exploring AI, I find it interesting, to say the least, that almost all scientists I've heard speak about working to merge AI and cyber tools, find one topic at the epicenter of the subject: Consciousness. It seems we have a very hard time defining it, let alone duping it in a man-made neural field. With all the questions still unanswered in science, many scientists feel this may be one of the toughest to understand and eventually to emulate.

Depends on which universe you inhabit. In the Newtonian universe it's hard to have free will because everything seems to be governed by simple cause and effect. In the quantum universe where there is uncertainty, free will is possible because an agent might be permitted to make choices that are impossible in a predetermined universe. Why do I address free will and not consciousness? Because it's doing something about what we are conscious about that matters.

To bring this conversation back to investing... It's quite clear from The Gorilla Game and from the Science of Complexity that complex systems don't exhibit a simple cause and effect pattern. The Gorilla Game's buy the basket and sell the losers is a practical example of the best effort not necessarily causing the best outcome. In the Newtonian universe everything has a single point of equilibrium that classical economists love. In the quantum universe there are several potential points of equilibrium and one is chosen (seemingly) at random. Do complex systems have consciousness and self determination? At which point between subatomic particles and conscious humans do consciousness and self determination manifest?

Denny Schlesinger

It's a gorgeous day in Vila Nova de Gaia. All showered are ready to go walking, consciously and self determinedly... 😇
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.