Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 187
I hope our contry does not become complicit in supporting those sins that we, as a Christian country have worked so long to protect from the future generations who inherit this section of land we have established.

Look. Christianity does not "own" America, and I resent every suggestion that it does. In fact, America, you may be shocked to discover, was explicitly determined by our so-called "god-fearing" founding fathers to be open to all ways of thought, yours and mine, right or wrong, despite your desire to have history read otherwise. The minute you start claiming propriety over America and what it's supposed to stand for, and claim that it is here for YOUR religious beliefs, and that Christianity should not only be included, but should prevail, is the moment I stand up and start defending the right that MY founding fathers gave to ME.

America is NOT a Christian country. It does not belong to you, or to any other religion. You do not own it. You never did. I understand that that is tough news for you to take. But accept it. And get over it.

Keep your religion out of MY constitution. To use your own analogy, you're entitled to scream in your own hallway all you want about how these desperate, poor, evil homosexuals are living their damned, depraved lives. But don't pretend to be so shocked when people disagree. As a matter of fact, let me invite you to open your eyes and discover that there's a whole world out there of people who don't think like you do, and you are living happy and rewarding lives despite your horror of them, and despite the fact that their rights entitle them to do so. And that these people happen to be just as American as you are, and are entitled to all the same rights that you enjoy.

My apologies for bringing this argument here. But if you are going to moan about America's moral decline (when in fact, it has been on a 200-year moral rise, giving the promise of freedom to wider and wider groups of people) and to grieve over the loss of a possession you were never entitled to in the first place, please expect some dissent. Because that is likely to happen when people make statements that are so frankly offensive and so plainly wrong.

Cheeze
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.