No. of Recommendations: 4
I hope that I have increased your appreciation as to what is involved, why it is a good idea and, at the same time, why it is so difficult.

You post some of the issues, but ignore others. For instance, a portion of Social Security payments go to people who have never contributed. Widows of recipients, for instance, and children.

The reason your "return" looks lower is because you are not guaranteed to get back what you put in. You may get more or you may get less. In this way, SS functions as an insurance system, where many pay, and the benefit is divided unequally according to the parameters of the system set-up.

So let's take the "I have my own account, it's mine and nobody else's" model. Your return in "your portion" of the stock market does well (let's say.) Now the widows, orphans, and disabled need to be paid out of the even smaller portion which is left in the "government" part.

Ten years from now everybody says "Holy Cow! Look how well we're doing with "mine" and look how terrible the government is doing with "theirs which should be mine"!!" Rinse, lather, repeat.

You also ignore the portion of people who will have saved "mine", but who empty the "mine" bank account long before they die. Presumably we will pay them out of the "government" portion as well, which will make that part look even worse. Or we will stop paying them anything and be back where we were before the system began.

Then there are the people who "die early" and whose "mine" portion (I guess?) is willed to heirs, meaning it cannot be used to pay those people who are drawing "more" because of the life lottery. Is that how it works, or does the "mine" portion evaporate? (Indeed, that's what happens now, although it is invisible since there is no delineation between "mine" and "theirs", and therefore there isn't any political pressure to "keep it.")

It sounds very much like a car insurance plan where the company sends you back your premium at the end of the year "if you didn't use it", but nobody explains where the money comes from to pay the extraordinary costs of car repair or medical bills for those who do.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.