Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I hope this question is merely foolish (little F) and not stupid. I have an existing Roth IRA with Ameritrade that I opened 2 years ago. I did not contribute anything to it last year.

1. Can I just transfer more money into it now?

It depends what you mean by "transfer". You can make fresh contributions, if qualified to do so. You can rollover or transfer directly from another existing Roth IRA account. You can convert traditional IRA funds to Roth IRA funds, if qualified to do so. Any other type of transfer is not allowed. (If I missed another permitted transfer, someone will correct me.)

2. Does it automatically attach to a year's contribution or do I need to declare that it belongs to 2004 or 2005?

In the absence of specific instructions, the deposit will be considered a contribution for the present calendar year.

3. I have all ready filed my taxes but of course it is not yet April 15th, can I still make a contribution for 2004.

Absolutely. You can still make a 2004 contribution to any form of IRA which you qualify for. If necessary, you can amend your return to claim the deduction (deductible traditional IRA only). Make absolutely certain that your IRA custodian records the contribution as a 2004 contribution.

Ira

I appreciate any responses,
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.