Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I hope you let others in your profession know what he's up to.

I thought about that tonight, and I'm going to give a heads up to the people I know. The funny thing is a homeowner trying to pull this scam is so transparent because he's not really familiar with the business of buying and selling houses. This is the second homeowner I've had try to mislead me about structural problems on the house.

Even funnier is I'm one of the few professional engineers around here that does this type of work with homes. Most of the engineering firms that he may call will refer him back to me. I made a memo for my file in case this goes to court some day. It's likely he'll find an engineer to say what he wants, and when the house changes hands there will be a lawsuit. In such case, if I get called as an expert witness, my notes will be very helpful.

I wish I had a recording of how annoyingly obnoxious this guy is. He has a whiney voice, and is really anal retentive. The stupid questions he asked me actually made me laugh, which made him angry. Questions (like I mentioned earlier) "Do you have letterhead?" "Are you approved, licensed and all that stuff?" "I want to make sure you're not some fly by night operation" (which is more humorous being I was recommended by a major foundation repair company here), and "I want to make sure you're not just promoting piers for xxxx"

George
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.