Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I initially said

A clip grips the cartridge by its shoulder.

I should have said

A clip grips the cartridge by the rim at its base.

Sorry Mike but that is not entirely correct. The M-I uses a 8 round clip which totally surrounds the cartridges, which are held in the clip by spring pressure of the steel clip https://redtea.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/M1Garand900x52... .

In My (not so) Humble Opinion, a better answer to the entire question would be to define the word magazine as a place where the powder, projectiles and explosives are stored prior to being loaded into a firearm of some sort. One has to assume now-a-daze the average kid probably thinks that Magazine Street was named that because it lead to a print shop that printed Time, Life, or maybe Better Homes and Gardens.
;-)

The word clip then could be defined as a device to hold cartridges prior to being loaded into the magazine of small arms such as rifles and pistols. FYI, WWL radio in N’Orleans recently did a listeners pole of the question “Did you ever fire a firearm?”. Something like 29 or 27 percent of the people that responded answered no.
;-)

C.J.V. - learned never to assume people know more than you about a subject, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.