Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I just bought a new hummer feeder and read the instructions - they say to change the water every two days or it might ferment.

Say what?!??

You say "water", I'm sure you mean "sugar solution", right?

Every two days is beyond excessive. Secondly, I've read more than one account of hummies purposefully seeking out flowers containing fermented nectar. Evidently a drunk hummie is pretty funny.

Still there are other nasty pathogens that could grow in a sugar solution and that may be a bigger worry.

In thinking about this, maybe every two days isn't a bad idea for solution that isn't boiled (i.e. premade mixes made with hot/warm tap-water).

If you are to change it every two days then all I could suggest is that you determine how much they'll drink within that time and only fill it up that much. Keep the excess in the fridge.

I make hummie solution from scratch.

1. Boil 12 cups of water.
2. Stir in 3+ cups of sugar.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Store in refrigerator.

The "recommended" ratio is generally 4:1 water:sugar. I'm always heavy-handed with the sugar, and when they're emptying the feeders as fast as I can fill 'em, well I tend to go more towards 3:1.

- T.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.