Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just did this about a month ago with a couple of Dad's annuities. You need to talk to your brokerage and have them set up an inherited IRA in your mom's name with her SS, with you as beneficiary. They should know what to do. It has to be an institution to institution transfer. DO NOT TAKE A CHECK AND TRY TO ROLL IT INTO THE IRA.

You are in for some confusing times. My condolences.


Be aware that you will also need to take required minimum distributions, (RMD,) annually, based on your life expectancy rather than your moms. You can take it all out, subject to taxes, at any time. The RMD is the minimum you MUST take out and get taxed on.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.