Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just don't have it in me.

I hear you.

DH & I did a major renovation about 6 years ago to the house we'd lived in for decades, not knowing if we'd be there another 3 years or 30. Turns out, we were there another 4 years. Quick sale, as everything was still in great condition. We'd done the major purge before renovating, and did another purge when prepping for sale.

Last year, after my dad moved to Assisted Living, I emptied his house and dumped about $50k (of his money) and 800 hours (of my time) into cleaning, fixing, and prepping it for sale. Just repairs and cosmetic upgrades, no major renovation. Again, quick sale, but the process left me exhausted.

Now we've just completed our 3rd move in 3 years (long story). Furniture in place, boxes all unpacked, shrubs trimmed, gardens mulched. Nothing on the walls yet; all the art is still wrapped up in a storage closet. I've run out of steam.

After several years of living in different houses and looking forward to our custom house where we'll have x, y, and z, I'm now thinking: do I want to work with architects and contractors again? Do I even want to move again, at all?
This rental, despite its quirks, checks most of the boxes, so how about we just stay here awhile? I've gone from compulsively checking zillow to basically not caring what else is out there. Yeah, I'd love to have a walk-in pantry again, but is it worth the hassle to get one? Maybe it's the hot weather, or quarantine ennui, or I've hit a certain age, but I'm feeling burned out.

And in your case, even if you wanted to fix up your house before putting it on the market, chances are contractors are booked solid and it'd be even more trouble than usual to get things done. (Apparently everyone isolating at home is looking around and realizing what upgrades would make it much nicer.)

One option you might consider: is your daughter local? If you take care of emptying the house, would she be interested in spiffying it up for sale? Emptying is hard, spiffying can be fun. If she's interested. If not, are there good stagers in your area? Staging will make a huge difference, especially since your house is in basically good condition, just dated. Your Realtor should be able to recommend good stagers, and their websites should have before & after pictures, to give you an idea of what they might do. Plus, stagers have contractors who give them priority over individual homeowners, so you'll be able to get more done working with a stager than alone.

The concept, of course, is that spiffying and staging will pay for themselves, because buyers of "as is" houses expect such a steep discount. But if you'd rather discount than deal with the hassle (even delegating to a stager can be a bit of a hassle), totally understandable!
I used to see houses in my neighborhood sold as is, and I thought, "If they'd only put $30k into it, they could've gotten $50k more," but now I understand. You reach a point where the $20k difference is just not worth it.

Good luck! Congrats on the new place!
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.