No. of Recommendations: 4
I just finished watching this movie and the whole Chinese Reverse Merger situation was and remains a travesty. A particularly disturbing part of the movie was when they interviewed older investors who got caught up in the hype. One investor they interviewed invested in a company at $9 and only got 12 cents out of the company in the end. These were investors near retirement. One guy was 68 years old.

The worst part about it would be that nothing in the system got fixed. Everyone should do their "Due Diligence" because still to this day little information can be obtained on Chinese companies, even the "best" one's like JD.com should be considered somewhat speculative and people probably should not pile in with 20, 30 40, 50% of their money into Chinese stocks.

Oh yes, the movie mentioned Alibaba. There's no way I would invest in Alibaba....not enough information and they would be a somewhat shady company.

I believe JD.com, Baidu, Tencent & Weibo to be fairly ethical but because I can't rely on information coming out of China, no Chinese company deserves anywhere near the multiple of their equivalent US counterparts. A good size risk premium should be built into everyone's Chinese stock assessment.

By the way......all Global Gainers should watch the movie https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07BQRKGLG?ie=UTF8&am...

All Global Gainers that thought they were so smart....that thought they had/have great ability to detect fraud and understand risks should watch this because the fraud that took place with Chinese small caps was worse than even I believed at the time and I very much turned against Chinese smallcaps around the height of their popularity.

It was a sickness to watch supposedly sophisticated TMF investors get bamboozled by outright obvious fraud which to me shows the dangers of Group think and simply believing what the sentiment of a stock board believes. It makes me resolute that everyone should be independent thinkers.

In my opinion, risks about companies should be talked about. My attitude would be "If you see something, say something"....so risks can be discussed. Some risks on various companies might not amount to very much but they should be discussed and censorship of different people's views should be discouraged.

Burying talk about risks does not make the risk go away. It only makes it so more people get hurt if a risk that people got discouraged from talking about manifests and the risk did not get proper attention.

To all Global Gainers....How much did your portfolio get blown out by outright fraud that you failed to detect??? One of Global Gains more popular companies, China Green Agriculture (CGA) was mentioned in the film

Starrob
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.