Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just found your post, without any responses. There is no limit for your rolling over your 401k to an IRA. Do a trustee to trustee roll over. Find yourself a discount broker and they can help you with the process. DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF THE MONEY. THE IRS REQUIRES A 20% WITHHOLDING AND YOU HAVE ONLY 60 DAYS TO GET THE CHECK INTO THE ACCOUNT. To convert to a Roth, you must meet the modified income earnings requirement which I think is $100,000 for the year you make the convervsion. There is no limit to how much you can convert if you meet all of the requirments. Check IRS publication 590 for details. You need to find the money for the taxes from other sources in order for this to make economic sense. Unless you started a Roth back in 1998, you will have to wait 5 years before you can withdraw any of the converted money. So you will a source of income to meet your retirement needs. I hope this helps you. Make your rollover to an IRA, then you can convert gradually if pay the taxes is a problem.
If you have more questions feel free to contact me at
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.