No. of Recommendations: 7
I have just gotten home after a 4 month trip on the ship I work on. I get home to the news that Global Gains is now going away. I will miss GG in many ways. At one point in time (Before the Chinese Stock hoopla) GG was among my favorite newsletters.

I had slowly turned away from GG as it began attracting too many all China, All of the time type people. I personally think most people do more poorly investing when following the concepts of "Over-Weighting" stocks and/or sectors more often than not. Gluttony can be a "sin" in some people's belief systems and in my belief system the concept of being Overweight can be unhealthy......sorta like Super-size me http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me

Nah,......I am more interested in controlling my consumption habits and not being a GLUTTON for punishment.

I will miss GG but I think the way that the Fool has decided to close down GG will work for me. Between Nathan's real money picks and MDP, my tendency to think global will probably be satisfied with balanced meals.

Starrob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Rob - welcome back! Good to have you around.

As you can see, your absence has been quite noticeable around here :)

Look forward to your usual lively contributions while these boards are still open!
-------------------
GG/MDP Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 3
Welcome back! While you were gone, I had taken up some of your duties of infuriating people around the Fooldom. I will step down now that you are back.

Anurag
'I had taken up some of your duties of infuriating people around the Fooldom.'

Hey - you're getting pretty good at it :)
---------------
GG/MDP Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 2
Welcome back [Starrob]! While you were gone, I had taken up some of your duties of infuriating people around the Fooldom. I will step down now that you are back.

Anurag

Starrob and Anurag, your epic horn-lockings were for me one of the most prominent aspects of the "amuse" part of the TMF motto in GG land. I'll miss that too.

What I won't miss - and I seem to partly agree with Starrob here (oh my goodness!!! :-) - is the China picks. I hope that Nathan will leave them behind him for good.

Saarkhx
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Welcome back! While you were gone, I had taken up some of your duties of infuriating people around the Fooldom. I will step down now that you are back."

I think I will most likely infuriate people a lot less. When I left the USA for Diego Garcia this past January, it was right after my father had died. Diego Garcia is a extremely isolated place. It is isolated enough that for a long time the school I graduated from the US Merchant Marine Academy http://www.usmma.edu/ would only assign cadets on ships out there after they passed a psychological profile because......

Diego Garcia produces a lot of alcoholics as well as people with a few other dysfunctions.......

I knew I was in for a tough time unless I went on a intense personal development journey while on the journey to Diego Garcia and beyond. I have now gone quite a ways down the road to developing emotional self-control........which seems to me quite useful as far as investing in stocks.

I don't fall in love with stocks or hate different stocks. I am not easily led by the positive emotions of someone pumping a stock and I am not easily influenced by someone going on a negative diatribe against a certain stock....I simply research stocks and make attempts to discover whether they are best for me.

I have gone deep inside my mind and changed many things. I am currently in the process of eliminating a lot of habits that I think would not be useful for me.

One habit I find unproductive is engaging in useless arguments that generally don't change anyone's mind about anything.

For instance, I could go into long diatribe's about putting massive sums of money into long shot Chinese stocks and no matter what I say some people will not break the habit of GAMBLING instead of INVESTING and will continue to OVERWEIGHT certain sectors or stocks in search of the JACKPOT.

While I believe some people have the skill set to be good GAMBLERS.....I believe most GAMBLERS will be LOSERS in the end.....but that is just my belief and through personal experimentation, I know probably more than anyone how difficult it might seem to change behaviors....Most people seem reluctant to put the work in to make the changes necessary to improve......There seems very little I can say to help people make the behavioral changes necessary to become a better investor.

One thing I have found seems to be to leave very loose hints on how to do so.......when people make a discovery for themselves, it seems to have a more lasting effect than someone preaching it to them......so, I will become even more vague in my "advice"....LOL

Here is a bit of something I have some belief in most of the time:

"Carl believes that investment success isn’t about skill, but about behavior. To the extent that you can control your emotional and psychological involvement with the process, you’ll outperform your peers. That’s not to say that you should be a cold mechanical machine with money. But that you should be aware of when you’re making decisions based on irrational exuberance (or irrational fear) instead of financial best practices."

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/02/05/behavior-gap-th...

Starrob
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Starrob and Anurag, your epic horn-lockings were for me one of the most prominent aspects of the "amuse" part of the TMF motto in GG land. I'll miss that too."

At the time, it was fun.....I was extremely bored at the time and it was a form of amusement for me......but I now look at a lot of those discussions as juvenile which is why you probably won't see me engage people like that any more. do more to better themselves as investors.

Plus, over time, I have discovered more than a few of my belief systems at the time were not totally accurate. I have ceased trying to be a prediction machine....I often find that investors that engage in a abundance of predictions tend to not reach their full investing potential......I find that people that engage in more probability type thinking seem to have much better investing results over the long term.

Starrob
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, Starrob --
That sounds like a very intense journey, in a lot of ways. It's good to see you on the boards again -- welcome back!
--Tracy
Starrob --

Welcome back. Arguments and philosophy postings aside, I hope you resume your practice of digging out news items on various companies and posting them on the boards. It was amazing the sorts of things you would find. I think the data in those posts had a value that far exceeded anybody's opinion on investment philosophy or what to buy. It was truly "news we can use" for those of us who spend time doing company analysis.

Jim