Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I just re-read this thread. Actually, NellieD makes a good point which I had forgotten: Your child will likely be eligible for food stamps if they live both off-campus and out of your home.

There may be some other requirements (these things vary state to state, I believe... my memory is rusty, as it was years ago that I was in college.) It's kind of distasteful to go apply, as you have to sit in line with a bunch of smelly repugnant trashy type people, and it's a government bureaucracy so you're there for an hour or more, but it's free money. I qualified for $100 a month, which has probably been increased some in the yeaers since. This amount hich covered a decent size chunk of the food bill. There was a little humiliation in spending food stamps for groceries, but I went to a grocery store away from campus and reminded myself that that was $100 more in my pocket. Sadly, I didn't manage the extra money well, and most of the amount I saved wound up going for beer, but I digress.

If you do this (and it is distasteful to set up, so if your child is a daughter or is squeamish, make sure someone accompanies them to the aid office,) make sure you know the rules ahead of time, there are a lot of little things to trip you up. For example, make sure your child applies in the summer. That way, when they ask if he/she is enrolled as a full time student, they can say "no." (Full time students are ineligible for food stamps.) I eventually got tripped up by this one and lost my eligibility midway through my junior year. (I can see the compassion for this tragedy forming on NellieD's face already.)
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.