Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I just received a form indicating that my benefits are now thought to have been higher than they were when I first received my SSA-1099.

In the title of the thread, you seem to indicate that the form you received is a "Corrected SSA-1099" - is that the form that you actually received? The reason I ask is that in addition to sending out corrected SSA-1099s, the SSA also send out forms telling people that the benefits they received were incorrect, and telling them how the correction will be made - in a lump sum, or over time. So, if what you received isn't a corrected SSA-1099, then you will need to read a little farther to figure out what the form is.

If a corrected SSA-1099 is the form you actually received, do you agree with the changes, because you actually received more benefits than were documented on the original 1099-SSA?

If you do agree with the changes, then you need to file an amended tax return - a 1040X, declaring the updated amount for SS. If you used tax software to prepare your taxes, the software should be able to walk you through what to do. If you used a preparer, then you should go to them. If you did something else, please tell us how you filed your taxes, and we can make suggestions.

If you received a corrected 1099-SSA and you don't agree with the corrections because the original 1099 actually agreed with what you received, then you need to contact the SSA and find out what the story is, and why the correction was issued.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.