Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I just stumbled across this while visiting TMF to see what has been going on in the years since I last posted. There are some really great books on cat care, and the one you listed sounds excellent.

Dr. Neils Pederson of the UC Davis vet school wrote a fabulous book that was geared toward multi-cat households, including breeding facilities. I am not and never have been a breeder (I would fail miserably at it, but that is another issue) but upon a friend's recommendation, I picked up a copy of the book. Good information, though a lot of it had to do with breeding and birthing issues, which I am not interested in. It was very comprehensive.

One thing that really struck me was the information on cats' behavior. In addition to being very efficient predators they are also prey animals. One side effect is that a cat will hide its ill health. It is betraying a weakness. I was somewhat aware of this, but the discussion was very good, and I really was touched by the emphasis that you are not being a poor caregiver if you did not know that your cat was ailing right away. (there are things you can look for)

The book is hard to find now and quite expensive.

***BUT:***

because of the value of the information, Dr. Pedersen (who holds the copyright) and UC Davis have made it available in PDF form free online. Check it out. It is valuable and it is free. You can find what parts you need to look at, copy and print.

Here is the information about the book offering:
http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/feline-husbandry-book.shtml
(**please note that the link there no longer works. I have pasted the link to UCDavis for the free download below this.)

https://ccah.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cats/resources/feline-husban...

Stay safe, have a happy new year, hug your pets, and maybe I'll see you on Facebook.

Beej (Diana Wilder)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.