Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just tried to cut & paste from my portfolio, but, even with the
 tags the table was not readable. I'm not sure how to show you what I'm talking about but I'll try to explain again.

I'm referring to the customizable portfolio screen that TMF provides under the "Portfolio" tab near the top of the page. At the top of the portfolio there is a summary of the portfolio. In the lower right corner it shows a value called %S&P500, this value is an average of all the individual %S&P500 values for each of the individual stocks in the portfolio.

Today, I now have a value of 45.32% for VFINX (Vanguard 500) that I have been tracking for a little over 2 years. My contention is that, since VFINX perfectly tracks the S&P500, shouldn't the value of it's %S&P500 be 0? or a tiny bit behind the S&P500 due to the maint fee of the fund?

My understanding of that value is that the S&P500 has grown at about 10.5% annually. Therefore, if I have a stock that is growing at 15% annually, then the difference between them would be 4.5%. In other words, I would have a stock that is "beating" the S&P500 by 4.5%. Therefore, the value in the %S&P500 column should be 4.5%.

I'm starting to think that the value presented is not really the difference between what your stock is earning, verses what the S&P500 is making, but more like a fixed amount based on how long you have held the stock. I started a Foolish Four portfolio about a month ago and today the %S&P500 value for each of the 4 stocks is identical: 1.7%. With one of the stocks being CAT, I would think that CAT's value would be a little larger than the other 3 beacuse CAT as recently ramped up significantly, but, it still shows the same value as the other 3 stocks.

What am I missing?
Thanks
JON
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.