Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I just wanted to get back to everyone, but I don't have a lot to report. Apparently, the 770QE is a very popular machine, and so they are back-ordered. I went to 2 different shops, and neither had one they could show me. However, the 2nd shop did use the 740 on the floor to show me the features that are the same, and pointed out the differences that really came down to the BSR and the embroidery ability.

I will go back to see the 770QE in person once they are available, which everyone was expecting to be in the next couple of weeks.

However, in looking back at the Bernina website, I see that they have something called the 765 Special Edition which is about $500 cheaper than the 770, and seems to be the same machine from comparisons I have seen on the web, but does not include the BSR. However, they seem to be running a special where you can buy the 765, and get a choice of a free option bundle - Bundle 1 is to get a 330, Bundle 2 is to get the BSR with the foot and the separate walking foot, and Bundle 3 is to get the embroidery module. The 765 has a rose colored front that I'm not crazy about, but I am thinking that this may be the way to go to get essentially the same thing for a big less money.

I did talk to DH about it, and he says to get the one I want, and that even with the extra cost of the 770, I will have it for another 25 years, and so it won't really matter in the long run.

But I still need to convince myself that I want to do this. I am almost there, but I really need to see the machine up close and personal.

Oh, the woman at the first store did point out that there is actually a simulator that can be downloaded from the Bernina website for the 770, and I have done that and started to play around with it. I thought that was a neat tool and a good way to get my feet wet.

So not much to report yet, but I love all the feedback from everyone.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.